Friday, June 24, 2016

Professional Page



About me:

“Create, Imagine, Breathe, DANCE!”
These are more than just words tattooed on my left arm, but truly a mantra for my life. I was born and raised in Seattle, Washington and attended John F. Kennedy Catholic High School in Burien, Washington. My passion for dance started late. At age 16, I began my dance training at Allegro Dance Academy in Kent, Washington and later went on to further my dance education in college. After earning a B.F.A in Dance from Virginia Interment College in Bristol, Virginia in 2005, I returned to Seattle to fulfill my dream of teaching. I began to teach various genres of dance as well as developed choreography for competitions and pageants at various dance studios throughout the Seattle and Bellevue area. The more I worked with my dancers, the more I realized that I wanted to do more for them then just teach dance. I entered a more traditional teaching setting as a Para-Educator and Tiered Intervention Coordinator/Coach within the Kent school district and later transitioned to a lead position, as a  Conditionally Certified Dance Teacher for kindergarten and 1st grade at the SOAR Academy Public Charter School in Tacoma, Washington. My hope is to share with my students and audiences the magic I found in dance and the importance of physical fitness. The grit and perseverance found in training and the creativity in dance are two frameworks that I wish my students will take and implement in each aspect of their lives. 



Interest and Experience in Education:

My grandfather, mother, uncle, aunt, sister and even godmother were and still are educators. The road to education has truly shown itself in God’s plan for me, and I am honored to follow in the footsteps of the phenomenal teachers and principals in my family. Dance has always been a major part of my life both as a teacher and as a performer but the teaching aspect of dance is what truly makes me happy. Being able to see that moment when a student gets it, or being able to transform discouragement into triumph is what makes being a teacher so worth it. Due to the physical nature of dance a Health and Fitness Endorsement is the most logical choice with the skills I possess. More and more schools are looking for ways to expand their programing or implement more kinesthetic learning within the academic class room. My hope is that by choosing health and fitness, I can contribute a more creative and innovative way of learning for students.   I have been fortunate enough to have taught all ages but K-6 is my favorite group to work with. Little ones are so excited to share what they know or try something new with little inhibition. Besides dance, I have also taught kindergarten reading, 6th grade math and 6th grade writing. The wonderful thing about learning whether you are in Kindergarten or an adult, people love to learn if they love what they are being taught and if the person teaching them is committed to the growth and advancement of the learner.


No comments:

Post a Comment